Roast Turkey with Pomegranate-Orange Glaze
- 1 thawed turkey "breast"- entire chest cavity
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 oranges
- 3 cloves of garlic, flattened
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1 tbs dried basil
- 1/2 tbs dried oregano
- 1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup)
- 1 onion
- 1 sweet potato
1. Juice the pomegranate and oranges. Mix with garlic, honey, basil, oregano and S&P to taste.
2. Rinse turkey and pat dry. Marinate the turkey in juice mixture for 1 to 3 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 350*. Loosen the skin of the turkey from the meat. Slice up the butter and place pieces between skin and meat.
4. Put turkey and marinade in roasting pan. Chop the onion and sweet potato into large chunks and place around the turkey. Add water to the pan so the liquid is 1/2 go 3/4 inch deep.
5. Roast the turkey for 2 to 2.5 hours (until meat thermometer reads 170* in the thickest part of the breast). Baste every 20 minutes. If turkey starts to brown too fast, cover loosely with foil.
6. When the turkey is done roasting, let it rest for ten minutes to soak up some juices.
I recommend reserving the pan liquids to make gravy. Turkeys aren't scary! You can totally do this.