25 September 2012

Paleo Canned Salmon Salad

I try to eat fish at least once a week, favoring anything wild-caught.  And on top of that, salmon is my favorite fish.
This adventure started the way any culinary adventure does for me - I bought something I had never tried before, and had to figure out a way to use it.
I was a little unnerved to see so many bones when I emptied these cans, but after picking out the vertebra, I realized everything else was pretty easily disintegrated.
So the salmon was lightly shredded into my mixing bowl.
To that I added cucumbers, chopped into large pieces.
 Some avocado.
A diced tomato and some red onion.
The flavors are held gloriously together with some evoo and lime juice, and seasoned with some fresh dill.
Canned Salmon Salad (loosely based on a recipe here):
Ingredients:
  • 2 cans (14 oz) wild salmon
  • 2 diced cucumbers
  • 1 chopped red onion
  • 1 large diced tomato
  • 1 diced avocado
  • 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
Instructions:
1.  Drain the salmon and lightly shred into a bowl, discarding any bones that aren't soft.
2.  Add the cucumber, onion, tomato and avocado.  Give it a light toss.
3.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir to evenly coat.

The flavors in this salad intensify overnight.  This can be used on sandwiches or wraps if desired.
This is my favorite kind of recipe - so many flavors packed into one recipe, yet working together to create something delicious.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS RECIPE! And I loveeee salmon or fish bones that disintigrate in general! :) Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy it! I was a little skeptical at first, but it definitely turned out great.

      Delete