30 January 2012

Coconut Curry Stirfry

This dish is FANTASTIC.  I had pretty high hopes for it, and I was not disappointed.
I strayed so far from the recipe that I'm not even going to bother reposting it.

The first thing I put together was the sauce.  1 can of coconut cream (full fat - don't read the nutrition facts!).  Add to it two tbs of curry powder and two tbs of freshly grated ginger.
[Edit:  I later made this sauce out of an avocado and a cup of almond milk, and it was a smashing success!]
I used a tuna steak because I have a plethora of them, but chicken will work fine too.  Tuna works surprisingly well for stir fry - it doesn't really flake like other fish.  And it looks like chicken anyway ;)
So while that's cooking, get together your veggies!  One 12-oz bag of broccoli (~2 cups), I threw in about half as much cauliflower, half a red pepper, a small onion and five or six mushrooms.  Vegetables are like a stock portfolio - diversify!  The more colors you're eating, the better health benefits you're getting.
And here is where I lost the rest of the photos from my camera.  Mass deleting is never a good idea, FYI.  I set the meat aside and put the onion in the same pan in some evoo.  What the onions are good and tender, add the rest of your vegetables.  My eyes were much bigger than my pan; I could barely fit them all.  Cook those until tender then pour in the cream mixture.

The original recipe calls for spinach to be added next and then the whole thing cooked just until the spinach is wilted.  Since I just read up on enzymes (yeah, that's right, Caleb.  I know about enzymes now), I waited until the cream had just started to boil, then I served up the veggies on a plate and sprinkled on the spinach.  I wanted it to get a little wilty, but not so hot that it denatured the enzymes.  Then top with the tuna and voila!  Beautiful, tasty dinner.  I apologize for the crappy cell phone photo.

Coconut Curry Stirfry
  • 1 can full fat coconut milk (as an alternative, try using 1 avocado and 1 cup of almond milk)
  • 2 tbs curry powder
  • 2 tbs freshly grated ginger
  • tuna steak or chicken breast, cut into stirfry-sized chunks
  • 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cups (1 12 oz bag) frozen broccoli, thawed
  • 1 cup frozen cauliflower, thawed
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • 5 or 6 mushrooms
  • a bunch of spinach, lightly chopped.
Mix together the coconut milk, curry powder and ginger.  Set aside.  Fry up the meat and also set aside.

Chop up your onion and put it in the pan with the olive oil.  While that is frying, chop up the rest of the veggies as needed.  When the onion is tender, add them to the pan.  Fry at least until heated through.  Add the coconut milk mixture to the pan.  When the whole thing is hot, add the spinach just until wilted (you can also add the meat at this point).  Serve it up, and if you haven't added it already, top with your tuna or chicken.  The tuna has a nice zing to it that you don't get with the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment