26 January 2012

Spinach and Artichoke 2-for-1 Appetizer

Who doesn't love spinach and artichoke dip?  No one.  Even people who HATE spinach and HATE artichokes love this dip.  So when I saw this recipe for s&a stuffed mushrooms...well, it sounded perfect.  But if you've ever made stuffed mushrooms, you know that you ALWAYS have leftover stuffing.  Here's how to work that to your advantage:

Whip up the stuffing.  Recipe here, I'm not going to repost it because the magic is what happens after the mushrooms are done.
Stuff those buddies and bake 'em up!  The great thing about stuffed mushrooms is that even when they're ugly, they're still a really cute appetizer.  I sprinkled them with extra cheese and a few with cayenne pepper before baking.

But whoa!  Look at how much stuffing you have left!  What to do...
It really helps to know how to make a regular spinach and artichoke dip (something I've done before) so that you know it includes a good deal of alfredo sauce.  And what is the base of alfredo sauce?  Cream.

I added a cup of heavy whipping cream to the bowl and came up with this:
I also added more parmesan.  Then I put it in a baking dish, sprinkled it with cheese and some cayenne pepper.
I baked it for a while.  Say 350* for 20 minutes?  All you really need to do is get the cream almost to boiling point all the way through.  And let me tell you, this dip is tasty to the last bite.  Can you ever really have too much spinach and artichoke dip?

Voila!  Two appetizers for the effort of one.  And I'm sure that you could add alfredo sauce instead of cream if that is what your taste buds desire.  Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment