10 August 2010

A Further Tale of Blueberries

Alright, so I know you're all dying to know what I did with all the gathered berries.  Here's the quick and dirty on how I have become a housewife without even being married.  I made some pie crust and whipped it into tart shells using my handy all-in-one rolling pin/cookie cutter.  A tool with dual functions is twice as useful to keep around.  Actually, I can think of many more uses for this tool.


They baked marvelously despite me having no idea how long to keep them in the oven.  Add some melted chocolate chips/heavy cream (aka truffle filling, which I learned during last winter's truffle experiment), chill, then add blackberries on top.

Don't those look tasty?  Chocolate and fresh blackberries, mmmmmm....
Blackberry angle.
I made more than six.
Then, blueberry muffins.  I had two for breakfast this morning.  I used a recipe for blueberry coffeecake, because I foolishly forgot that muffins would probably be found in a different section of the cookbook.  There are so many blueberries in these muffins that they stay together mostly by fear.





And with about half of my blueberry crop, I used Kelly's tip about freezing blueberries.  If you freeze them on a cookie sheet, they won't clump up in a freezer bag.  Just put it in the freezer for an hour or so then bag!  Voila - next time you want a singular blueberry pancake for breakfast, you can choose the exact number of berries you want, and your cakes won't turn purple because you had to saw through a mass of berries to extract what you needed.

Of course, I left some fresh berries for smoothies and munching.  Oh, that reminds me, I was thinking about making blueberry pie and I don't have enough fresh berries left.  I'll have to thaw some.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete