Start by frying up some cubed potatoes until a crunchy, golden crust develops. Try a bite and make sure they're cooked through (cooking time depends on the size of the cubes).
Since I'm not in college anymore, these home fries are getting fancy with some lightly wilted spinach.
Home Fries with Wilted Spinach
- 2 c. cubed potatoes (roughly 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 tbs bacon fat or cooking oil of choice
- 3/4 c. shredded or cubed meat of choice (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. baby spinach
- 1/4 c. grated cheddar cheese
1. Fry up the potatoes in the bacon grease in a large pan over medium heat. They should develop a crispy golden crust in 5 - 7 minutes (test one to make sure they are cooked through - careful, they're hot!).
2. Add in the meat and spices. Continue frying until the meat is warmed through. This is also when you can add in things like peppers or mushrooms.
3. Toss the spinach on top and let wilt slightly. Remove from stove - spinach will continue to wilt slightly.
4. Top with cheese and serve.