21 June 2013

Mom's Rhubarb Custard Cake

It has occurred to me that I don't actually have the recipe for this one, so you can make this at your own risk.  How's that for a fun first line of a recipe post?  Anyway, I do have my mom's recipe somewhere, but I think you can get along without it.
Once again, the rhubarb season has probably left you behind, while here in northern Michigan, we haven't even started up our farmers market yet.  Feel sorry for me.  Warm weather only lasts three months here.
We chopped up 30 pounds of rhubarb - enough for two (5 gal) batches of wine.
I think you could probably do this with a box cake mix, if that's what sounded good to you.  Otherwise, pick your favorite cake and pour the batter into a 9x13 pan.  I used whole wheat flour.
Sprinkle with four cups of rhubarb.
Add 1 cup of sugar.
Lastly, top with 1 cup of milk.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Refrigerate leftovers.  Tastes delicious either warm or cold.
It really didn't need whipped cream, I just added some because...well, let's face it, it's an ugly cake.  And it is extra brown because I used whole wheat flour.
I have owned my DSLR for a full 1.5 years.  I almost never used the manual modes, because everything would come out with a blue tint to it and I could never figure out why.  While shooting this cake, I discovered some light settings, and my camera was set to "fluorescent."  Well, it's now set to "daylight," and hopefully you'll see some photography improvements now that I've discovered how to change the dang light mode.  Not that my lighting situation at home will improve at all unless I move, but, you know.  A girl can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment