16 August 2013

Double Chocolate Brownies with Roasted Strawberries

The food blog world has been raving about roasted strawberries.  When I found myself with a surplus of strawberries this summer, I thought I'd give it a try.
Since I had to bring a dish to a family gathering, I thought it would be great to bring some roasted strawberries.  But they have to go WITH something, right?  Since I was out of time, I was pretty sure I had a box mix of brownies at home.  Perfect.  Done.
But I didn't.  Oh well, making brownies from scratch can't really take much longer, right?  Here's hoping.  So I hopped online and found myself an awesome looking recipe from Ina Garten.  Fantastic.
And then, of course, I needed to do something with the berries.  This recipe showed up in my inbox, and I even had maple syrup on hand, so it was perfect.
And in a happy coincidence, the baking times for both of these were nearly the same, so this ended up being a quick and easy dessert to make.
Verdict:  the brownies were just so light and melt-in-your-mouth.  Fabulous.  The strawberries?  Well, I grew up eating home-canned strawberries and they didn't taste much different than that.  I'd prefer fresh strawberries over roasted any day.
I halved Ina's recipe to make it fit in a 9x13 pan (actually my pan is 10x14, which is a really weird size, but I've used it consistently with all 9x13 recipes and haven't had a problem).  I baked it for about 30 minutes, instead of the 20 Ina calls for.  That puts it about on par w/ the roasted strawberries.  Other than that, I didn't really change up these recipes at all so I'm not going to repost them.

No comments:

Post a Comment