Okay, here's the real story. I saw this recipe for Summer Squash Meatball Casserole and thought it was worth a try. But when I tried it, I changed...well...everything. Chicken breasts were literally a third of the price of either ground beef or ground turkey, so I nixed the meatball idea. I was tired of spending so much time cooking every night and not getting much else done, so when I made this I made it BIG. And there was no regret.
Summer Squash/Zucchini Chicken Bake (inspired by this)
Serves: 8 to 10 as a main dish
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 med onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 c. shredded summer squash
- 3 c. shredded zucchini
- 2 tbs cumin
- 2 tbs ground coriander
- 1 tbs smoked paprika (make sure it's smoked!)
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 can tomato puree (14 oz)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz) - I used stewed and slap chopped them into diced-size pieces
- 3 small chicken breasts, cut into...meatball-sized pieces (vegetarian option: omit chicken)
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F. Saute the garlic and onion until soft / translucent (and super fragrant!). Use your largest saute pan.
2. Add the squash and zucchini and continue to cook until soft.
3. Add the spices. Stir stir stir it up.
4. Add the tomato (both diced and pureed). Continue cooking until the tomatoes start to simmer.
5. Pour the entire mixture into a 9x13 pan. Top with raw chicken. If desired, sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
zucchini bread! Everyone loves zucchini bread.