25 October 2013

Lime Basil Juice + Margarita

I've grown lime basil in my garden for the past couple years, but I never seem to use it for anything worthwhile.  I love both lime and basil, so why can't I find a good recipe to use the lime basil in?  Then I chanced upon this recipe - so unique, so unexpected! - and made it mine.
This drink packs a punch of refreshing flavor, making the taste almost as loud as the color.  My only regret now is that I don't have more lime basil leaves to make a bigger batch.
This is also how I found out that if you pull a lime basil (or any herb, really) plant out of the ground, wash the roots off, and stick the whole thing in a glass of water, it will last for over a week!
Put loosely packed lime basil leaves in a blender and squeeze in the juice of one lime.  I added about a teaspoon of zest for some extra limeyness.
Add a little sugar and water, and blend it up.
It's pretty frothy after blending, so I like to let it sit for a few minutes to settle and separate.
Then pour the juice through a fine mesh sieve to remove the leaf dregs.
Ta-da!  It's juice!  I put some of this in the fridge overnight and it discolored, so I think it's safe to say this should be imbibed the same day it's made.
Let's take this one step further!  Any good drink can be made better with alcohol, right?
A shot of tequila, a shot of triple sec, and a splash of lemon and lime juice make this a diet-friendly unique margarita. 
Lime-Basil Juice (inspiration here)
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c. basil leaves, loosely packed
  • Juice from 1 lime (plus 1 tsp zest, if desired)
  • 3 tbs sugar
  • 1 c. water
Instructions:
1.  Put everything in the blender and blend until the juice is bright green.
2.  Let the juice settle and separate for five minutes.
3.  Pour the juice through a fine mesh sieve to strain out the basil leaves.
4.  Add ice.  Drink!

Lime-Basil Margarita
Ingredients:
  • 1 c. lime-basil juice
  • 1 shot tequila
  • 1 shot triple sec
  • Juice from one lemon
  • Juice from one lime
Instructions:
1.  Mix.  Pour over ice.  Drink.  Enjoy.
I really loved the flavor of both the juice and the margarita.  In fact, I think I liked the juice better - the basil flavor was just so intense.  But I will admit that this is definitely more of a summer drink and maybe not totally seasonally appropriate for a fall post.  Still, if you're looking for something unusual to serve at your next get-together, lime-basil juice is definitely a delicious option.

No comments:

Post a Comment