molcajete in Mexico and for the past week I've been grinding away, turning dry beans and rice into powder, trying to season it. Beans are not easy to powder. Potatoes, on the other hand, are really easy to shred.
Deb says you can re-crisp them in a 400 degree oven.
Potato Latke (as seen on smittenkitchen)
Makes roughly 12 to 14 latkesIngredients:
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 c flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Oil (I used bacon grease, but it's not kosher)
1. Shred the potatoes (they are easy to shred by hand, food processors also work). Wrap the potato in a paper towel and squeeze the moisture out.
2. Mix the flour, eggs, salt and pepper together. Add the potato and onion to the mixture, stirring until well-coated.
3. Heat oil over med-high heat. When hot, drop roughly a third of a cup of the potato mixture into the pan and flatten with a spatula. Fry until golden (1 to 2 minutes) then flip (letting cook 1 more minute).
4. Repeat until potato mixture is gone, adding more oil to the pan as necessary.