- 1/2 c. diced canned green chilis
- 1 1/4 c. cornmeal
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 c. buttermilk*
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs butter
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Drain the chilis and put them in a bowl lined with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients. Stir in the buttermilk and egg. Add the chilis and stir until well mixed.
3. Put the butter in a 10" skillet and set it in the oven for a couple minutes to melt the butter. Remove the skillet from the oven and swirl around the butter to coat the pan. Pour in the cornbread batter.
4. Put the skillet in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
*No buttermilk on hand? Me neither. Instead, you can make your own by adding 1 tbs vinegar per each cup of milk. In this case, I would pour 1 3/4 cups of milk into a measuring cup, then add 1 tbs + 2 tsp of vinegar. Stir it and let it stand for at least 1 minute.