I found my base recipe by googling "paleo protein bars." So rumor has it these are high in protein as well. I haven't actually calculated out the macronutrient content but I'm 100% certain the carb content is higher than the protein content. Also, the author touted this recipe as a homemade version of the Lara bar. I don't eat Lara bars so I can't say one way or the other how similar it is. But maybe that's something that interests you, so I'm sharing it here.
Paleo Granola Bars (loosely inspired by this recipe)
- 1 c raw almonds
- 3/4 c raw pecans
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1+ c dried mixed berries (unsweetened) --or whatever dried fruit you have on hand!
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1/2 c finely shredded coconut flakes (unsweetened) --optional
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 c chocolate chips --optional
1. Pulse the nuts in the food processor until they are smaller than whole pieces. Basically whatever size sounds good to you.
2. Add the remaining ingredients (except the chocolate chips) and process in food processor until well combined. Remove from food processor and work in chocolate chips.
3. Put a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet. Dump the "granola" mixture on the wax paper and flatten.
Clean method: put a second piece of was paper on top of the mixture and roll out with a rolling pin.
Hands-on method: wash your hands, then work the mixture flat with your hands. Spread out until 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Or maybe you want them a bit thicker. It's really a matter of taste.
I got roughly 15 bars from this recipe. I forgot to count. But it really doesn't matter, because my real recommendation is to cut them as big as you want them. Like I said, customizable!