Candied Ginger Root + Whiskey Gingers (inspired by this)
- 2 cups skinned, sliced ginger root (roughly .75 lbs whole ginger root)
- 2 cups + .5 cups sugar (I used raw, which made my syrup darker)
- 1 cup water
- 2 shots whiskey
- 2 cups sparkling water
1. Bring 1 cup of water and 2 cups of sugar to a boil. Just as it starts to boil, add the ginger root. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool.
2. Drain off the syrup and reserve for later. Rinse the ginger root in water then pat dry. Toss with half a cup of sugar until well-coated. Lay the candied ginger pieces out on waxed paper for 24 hours to dry.
3. Make the drinks: for each drink, use 2 large tablespoons of syrup, 1 shot of whiskey, and 1 cup of sparkling water.
4. Keep remaining syrup refrigerated.