Cherry Republic, where I had tasted some of their cherry products ranging from sweet to savory.
this one, which is actually from the Cherry Republic (that was just a happy accident, although in retrospect maybe I should have started there). I wanted a cooked salsa that included tomatoes. They use cherry jam in this recipe and I just went straight for the cherries, so I'm sure the recipe I linked to is a much sweeter recipe, while the one below is a savory, spicy salsa.
Tart Cherry Tomato Salsa
- 2 c. tart cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 c. roma tomatoes, chopped (3 to 4 tomatoes)
- 2 jalapenos, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 3 to 4 tbs cornstarch
- zest and juice from 1 lime
1. Mix everything except for the lime and corn starch in a medium sauce pan. Bring it to a boil, then turn it down to simmer.
2. Gently add the cornstarch, stirring to remove any lumps. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Let cool. Mix in the lime zest and juice.
Note1: Since it was cooked, the jalapenos did not overwhelm everything with heat. That being said, if you don't like it spicy, either remove the pith and seeds from the jalapenos, or choose a mild pepper to add instead.
Note2: I wanted this to be a thick salsa. If you want a thinner salsa, then by all means omit or reduce the cornstarch.