16 January 2015

Buttery Parmesan Mashed Potatoes

I made some mashed potatoes over the holidays.  I forgot how much I love mashed potatoes.  I love potatoes in any form, but what makes these mashed potatoes stand out is the delicious Parmesan cheese.  And butter.
Mashed potatoes pretty much all start out the same:  boil potatoes.  With salt and garlic cloves.
Then mash!  I leave the skins on because they're healthy, and I like the texture.  The garlic cloves mash up right along with the potatoes.
Now add the good stuff...butter, milk, parmesan!
Stir until the butter is melted and the potatoes get smoooooth and creamy.  Salt and pepper to taste!
Buttery Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs potatoes
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • salt
  • 3 tbs unsalted butter
  • 1/4 c. milk*
  • 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
  • pepper
Instructions:
1. Wash and dice the potatoes and put in a large pot (peel them first if desired).  Cover the potatoes with water, then add a little salt to the pot.  Crush the garlic cloves with the flat side of a knife and remove the papery skin.  Throw them in the pot.  Bring the potatoes to a boil on the stove.  Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes and then put them in a mixing bowl for mashing.  The garlic cloves should mash right along with the potatoes.  Stir in the butter, milk, Parmesan and pepper.  Taste test.  Add more salt and pepper as desired.

*I've also used some concentrated chicken broth instead of milk - works great.
This is the recipe I used when I made the Thanksgiving Leftovers Shepherd's Pie, but when I was a kid, my favorite use for leftover mashed potatoes was mashed potato pancakes!  Another fun thing to try with mashed potatoes would be papas rellenas - I had one while down in Key West for Christmas.  I'd love to try making my own if I could find a baked version.

No comments:

Post a Comment