01 January 2012

Resolutions

So, I don't really make New Year's resolutions.  They probably work out great for some people, but personally, I set "resolutions" all the time (although I usually refer to them as 'goals').  I don't feel any pressure to try to make some big changes at the beginning of the year, because if I see the need for a change, I'd rather work on it immediately.

But, for the sake of blogging, I can try to come up with a few goals for my year.
  • Travel:  I have one good friend who is in Hawaii right now and I thought I would be able to join her, but it didn't work out.  I also have another friend in Ecuador.  I feel like I didn't travel anywhere in 2011, and that just sucks!  So I'm taking a big trip this year.  Destination TBD.
  • Blogging:  I did well for a while, but once I moved to Michigan I stopped.  It's something I enjoy, I would like to get out a post or two per week, which also ensures that I do something interesting enough to blog about.
  • Goals:  Rachel has this marvelous habit of setting goals at the beginning of the month, and then at the end of the month summarizing how well she did.  I'm going to try it.  
  • Fatigue:  this one is kind of hard to admit.  I have a serious problem with chronic fatigue, and I have for the past 2.5 years.  I finally have a good job and good insurance, so I'm going to make it a goal to find an answer.  Fatigue is a really common symptom, so it's hard to diagnose the cause, but I am just so tired of being so tired all the time.
January goals:
  • Paleo diet for 2 to 3 weeks.  Paleo is crazy restrictive, so I'm not sure if I can do it.  Basically, all you can eat is meat, fruit, veggies and nuts (but not peanuts!).  It cuts out all grains, anything processed (for instance, lunch meat is not okay), and all starches (potatoes and rice).  I'll be using it as a detox - my aunt did it for a month and said she never felt better.  
  • Pampered Chef party.  That's happening this week!  I'm excited to show off my apartment and hang out with friends.  And while PC stuff is expensive, it's really great quality.  
  • Not spend money (I know what you're thinking, but I'm pretty sure I can do a PC party and not buy anything too big).  December was a rough month!  I have never in my life had that high of a credit card bill, so January is essentials ONLY (food, gas, rent).
  • Budget.  This has been a goal for a while.  It's time to make it happen, mostly because I finally understand why I need to budget - I am financially stable, I track all my spending, and I don't spend excessively, so I thought I didn't need a budget.
  • Garden!  I want to start planting things in February, so January is the time for planning and ordering seeds.  I am considering (but most likely making this a goal for next year's garden) getting all non-GMO seeds and then saving seeds, but I don't think I'm ready for that.

Alright, I think that's a good, manageable list.  Except Paleo.  I am a little scared.  I'll keep you posted :)

2 comments:

  1. Oregon is a nice place to visit... We have lots of great waterfalls and trees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! I love goal setting. My posts are selfish, and more for my benefit than the rest of the world's. But they serve a purpose :) I miss you. And wish you were here. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete