26 October 2012

Go Big or Go Home

I promised to try a new food this month.  At first, I pansied out and bought a new onion (cebollita...who was I kidding?).  But that's not my style.  Why try a new food unless it's really new?  So I went big.
These are mushrooms stuffed with sardines.  Yup, you got it.  I am now a sardine-eater.  Omega-3s and all that.  But lest you think I'm braver than I actually am, there's also some bacon in there.
And some fennel, because who doesn't need another excuse to use a bulb of fennel?
Saute diced fennel bulb, onion, pepper and the mushroom stems until tender.
Rip open the sardines like a boss.  Give them a smell.
Mix it all up.  Add some spices and crumbled bacon.  Stuff it into some mushrooms.
Bake for 10 minutes at 350*F.  Serve with a coy smile and don't tell anyone what's in it.
Actually, there's no need to be sneaky.  They taste great.  I actually preferred the stuffing before it was surrounded by mushroom cap.  It tasted a little bit fishy, but for all I knew it could have easily been a can of tuna in the stuffing.  I would definitely make it again.

Sardine Stuffed Mushrooms (based on a recipe found here)
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c chopped onion
  • 1/2 c chopped green pepper
  • 1/2 c chopped fennel bulb
  • any amount of mushrooms
  • 7 oz sardines
  • crumbled bacon, to taste
  • crushed red pepper flakes
  • oregano
  • fennel leaves
  • flaked parmesan cheese, if desired
Instructions:
1.  Saute onion, pepper, fennel and chopped mushroom stems for about 7 minutes.  Turn off the heat.
2.  Add the sardines, bacon, and spices.  Stir until well mixed, breaking up the sardines if necessary
3.  Stuff the mixture into the mushroom caps.
4.  Sprinkle with parmesan, if desired.
5.  Bake for 10 minutes at 350*.

No comments:

Post a Comment