21 February 2012

Roasted Pepper and Tomato Soup

I know I rave about all the recipes I post here.  I know it.  Is it a fault?  OR do I just know a good recipe when I see one?
Canned tomato soup and grilled cheese.  It was a staple on rainy summer days in elementary school, or snow days in the winter.  I was such a picky eater; I definitely disliked tomatoes.  It's one of the few things that I still dislike, although I've learned to tolerate tomatoes if they are diluted.  Fresh salsa is delicious, and even tomato slices served with fresh mozzarella and basil don't offend my taste buds.  I don't think straight-up tomato soup would be appealing to me, but this adult version - roasted red pepper and tomato soup - put the canned tomato soup of my childhood to shame.

Things to roast:  red peppers (3), onions (1) and some garlic.  Put them under the broiler for 15 minutes.
 
Things to simmer in the meantime:  a large can of tomatoes, the rest of the canned jalapenos, and, when roasted, the peppers etc.
 
In batches, blend this until smooth (or slightly chunky, depending on your preference).
Add to this puree a tbs of paprika, 3 c. of chicken broth, a dash of lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.  If you happened to have some jalapenos lying around, watch out! - this soup got pretty spicy (just the way I like it).
 Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup (my adapted version below):
  • 3 red bell peppers - rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and halved
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion (7 oz.), peeled and chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 1.5 to 2 cups of chopped homegrown tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 3 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth works as well)
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Preheat the broiler. Place the red pepper halves, onions and garlic cut side down (with liberal use of evoo), in a baking pan and broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until the skins are black and blistered, about 8 minutes. Let cool, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes.
  2. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium heat, simmer tomatoes, along with their juices, and the paprika. Bring to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
  3. In a blender or food processor, purée the soup in small batches until smooth. Return purée to the pan and stir in broth and lemon juice. Stir over medium heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment