roasted red pepper and tomato soup - put the canned tomato soup of my childhood to shame.
Things to roast: red peppers (3), onions (1) and some garlic. Put them under the broiler for 15 minutes.
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup (my adapted version below):
- 3 red bell peppers - rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (7 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1.5 to 2 cups of chopped homegrown tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth works as well)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the broiler. Place the red pepper halves, onions and garlic cut side down (with liberal use of evoo), in a baking pan and broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until the skins are black and blistered, about 8 minutes. Let cool, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium heat, simmer tomatoes, along with their juices, and the paprika. Bring to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, purée the soup in small batches until smooth. Return purée to the pan and stir in broth and lemon juice. Stir over medium heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.