smitten kitchen. Her blog is fantastic, the photos are killer, and the recipes constantly impress. In fact, I’m pretty sure that her photos are what make me drool over her culinary creations. Lesson learned. Step it up a notch on the photos and the presentation.
far from over), then let them stew and reduce on the stove for a bit with the onion and garlic. A quick spin in the blender left them in a chunky puree.
- 2-3 cups of tomatoes
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 small summer squash
- 1/2 an onion (roughly 3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 small peppers (you could use one or two large ones)
- Extra virgin olive oil
1. Slice the tomatoes in half. Lay them face down on a cookie sheet. Broil for 5-7 minutes until lightly blackened.
2. Stew tomatoes on the stove for 15 minutes to slightly reduce. Add the onion and garlic.
3. Let the tomatoes cool slightly. Blend the tomatoes until lightly pureed.
4. Preheat the oven to 375*. Slice the zucchini, squash and peppers on a mandoline (or slice thinly with a knife).
5. Pour the tomato puree into a 9x13 pan. Arrange the zucchini, squash and peppers in a circular pattern around the pan. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. (sprinkle with cheese if you want)
6. Cover with parchment paper cut to fit the dish.
7. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Remove the parchment paper ten minutes before taking the dish out of the oven.