16 November 2012

Easy Thanksgiving Appetizer

I am going to be traveling for Thanksgiving, so I need an easy go-to recipe so I can show some gratitude to my hosts during the week.  Since I'm not sure how much access I'm going to have to a kitchen, I found a recipe that is no-cook, incredibly festive, and most importantly DELICIOUS.
Thanksgiving pumpkin cheese ball!
Check out these pumpkins!  They are so dang cute.  Here's my secret:  cheese balls, dusted with paprika.  I used green onions and cilantro for the stem and leaves.  Bam.

Oh, and if that wasn't great enough...you can use virtually any cheese ball recipe for this appetizer.  Obviously I used the best one:  the Fiesta Cheese Ball.
Here's the recipe, with my added tweaks.  The pictures show a doubled recipe, because I tested this one on a larger crowd.

Fiesta Cheese Ball (original recipe)
Ingredients:



  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onion
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Red and yellow food coloring (if desired)
  • Paprika


  • Instructions:
    1.  Combine everything but the paprika.  Add food coloring to get a light pumpkin color.  Refrigerate overnight to let the flavors marry and allow the cream cheese to harden up so the cheese can be shaped into a ball.  (Save some green onion stems and pairs of cilantro leaves for garnish)
    2.  After refrigeration, form the cheese into a ball.  Sprinkle with paprika to cover.  Lightly slice some vertical lines into the ball to simulate pumpkin ridges.  Press down from the top to give it a pumpkin shape.  Finish the pumpkin with green onion stems and cilantro leaves.
    For the record, this recipe was DEVOURED.  I was lucky to have any leftovers, despite making a double batch.  Check out this carnage!
    Super tasty, super easy, super cute.  I love it when a recipe comes together like this!

    4 comments:

    1. Cute, but I net even better when eaten. Hope I get to taste one. Soon.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'll whip up a batch tonight and will see you on either Sunday or Monday :)

        Delete
    2. Hello, just wondering if you used food coloring on the batch shown in the photos?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I did, I think it was roughly six drops of each red and yellow but it was a while ago so I'm not entirely sure.

        Delete