omelettes or egg bakes, except twice the work. Nonetheless, they've been on my list. Whatever. Fricken delicious.
Savory Souffle (a grain-free version of this recipe)
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs coconut flour
- 3/4 c organic milk
- 1/3 c pepperjack cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- a few drops of lemon juice OR 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 c chopped ham or turkey
- 1/2 can (~2 oz) green chiles
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F. Use bacon grease to grease two oven-proof dishes (mine were 1-qt each, but a 2-cup dish is plenty big enough).
2. Over medium heat, melt butter. Add coconut flour. Stir in milk slowly, whisking to remove any clumps. Stir in pepperjack and simmer until cheese is melted.
3. Whisk egg yolks, stir in ham/turkey and chiles. Slowly pour in milk/cheese mixture.
4. Whip the egg whites until peaks start to form. To help retain the whipped-ness, add in either lemon juice or cream of tartar. In thirds, fold the egg whites into the milk/cheese mixture until just incorporated.
5. Pour mixture into greased dishes. Bake for ~25 minutes, until nicely browned on top. Serve immediately. Serves two.