10 May 2013

Tomatillo Green Chili

I love this perfectly paleo soup.  In fact, the recipe comes from Paleo Comfort Foods.  I tweaked quite a bit, mostly because I have so much salsa verde from last summer.
Actually, I used canned turkey, too.  My family has been canning turkey for as long as I remember, so it's nothing new or weird to me.  You can also use chicken breasts or turkey.
Start by sauteing an onion, a couple garlic cloves, a poblano pepper, and a couple de-veined and de-seeded jalapenos.
 To that I added 2 pints (4 cups) of salsa verde.
 And next, 1 quart (4 cups) cooked, shredded chicken or turkey breast.  Plus spices.
Garnish with green onions and some cilantro.
Tomatillo Green Chili (adapted from this book)


Ingredients
  • 1 onion
  • 1 poblano pepper
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, de-veined and de-seeded
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 4 c. salsa verde
  • 4 c. cooked, shredded turkey breast
  • broth, if needed
  • 1 tbs cumin
  • salt and pepper
Instructions
1.  Chop up the onions, peppers, and garlic.  Saute them over medium heat with a high-heat oil (coconut oil preferred).
2.  Add the salsa verde, turkey and spices.
3.  If needed, add some chicken broth to thin the soup out a little bit.
4.  Simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
This soup is a tangy green twist on traditional chili - very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment