13 June 2012

Budget-Friendly Tuna Burgers

In my pre-Paleo days, one of my favorite meals was Taste of Home's veggie tuna burgers.  However, the thought of adding two cups of bread crumbs to burgers that I was going to put between two bread buns never sounded good to me at all.  It's getting too close to just putting a slice of bread between bun halves.  Carb overload!
Truth be told, the Paleo versions of these burgers didn't thrill me either.  So many of them called for either almond flour or coconut flour.  Though I've used both, I don't really like the idea of trying to use new foods to mimic foods that aren't really a part of my diet anymore.  Incidentally, Kyle was the one that found the recipe below.  So while I would love to give credit where credit is due, I have not been able to find it back.  Also, I'm sure he somewhat altered it.

We tried these a couple months ago and they are a great budget-friendly Paleo meal.  I know canned tuna does not really fit the Paleo model, but when cooking on a budget, it can't all be grass-fed and wild-raised.
Ingredient #1:  either one 12 oz. can of tuna or two 5 oz. cans of tuna.
Add around a cup of grated carrot (about three carrots).
For extra healthiness, I sneak in 1/2 a cup of ground flax seed.
Unceremoniously dump in 1/2 a cup of chopped pepper (your choice - add serranos or jalapenos for a little kick), 1/2+ cup of diced onion, two eggs and the flax seed.
Stir stir stir it up!  Mix with a spoon or mix with your hands.  Add in spices to taste - I used chili, garlic powder, and a pinch of cayenne in addition to the standard salt and pepper.  (Kyle is reading this over my shoulder..."That was NOT a pinch of cayenne."  "I know, but that's how real people are going to make this dish...normal people don't eat as much cayenne as I do!"  I like it spicy.  If you like it spicy, liberal use of cayenne is the way to go.)
Form into six patties.
Heat up some (grass-fed, free range) butter over medium to high heat.  When melted, add patties.
Heat through, until browned on both sides (4-6 minutes).
There are so many ways to eat this burger!  You can add cheese and eat it straight.  Kyle put it on a bun with some pepperjack, caramelized red onions and took some photos in natural light.  My personal favorite was on a bed of spinach, topped with a sprinkling of feta.
But no matter how you eat it, you really can't go wrong!
Paleo Veggie Tuna Burgers (make six burgers)

Ingredients:
  • 12oz. tuna (drained)
  • 3 grated carrots (about 1 cup)
  • 1/2 cup ground flax seed
  • 1 jalapeno + 1/4 green bell pepper (1/2 cup total)
  • small onion (1/2 to 3/4 cup)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • S&P
  • 2 tbs butter
Directions:
  1. Drain the tuna.  Grate the carrots, chop the onions and peppers, then add to tuna.  Add the ground flax, eggs and spices.  Mix thoroughly.
  2. Form mixture into six patties.
  3. Heat butter in a skillet on the stove.  When melted, add patties.  Cook for 4-6 minutes per side until browned.
  4. Serve plain or with cheese or on a bed of spinach or on hamburger buns!
 Yum!  If you try these out, let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it is so budget friendly. Love it.

    ReplyDelete