27 April 2012

Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm still learning about coconut flour.  It's not like any ingredient I've ever used before.  I was really hoping to find a sugar-free recipe, but this was the closest I could find.  These cookies were more like a lovely chocolate chip shortbread.
They weren't very sweet, but I think I've become less tolerant to sweet foods, so that worked out pretty well.
Coconut flour is very absorbent, so it needs a lot of liquids (usually eggs) to soak up.  I tried to make this without any sugar at first.
However, I tasted the dough right before I added the chocolate chips, and it was very bland - it didn't seem very cookie like at all.  Just trying the dough made me thirsty though.
I ended up adding 1/3 a cup of agave nectar instead of 1/2 cup of sugar.
The agave nectar didn't sweeten it too much.  I would make this again and skip the sugar, and just let the chocolate chips sweeten the cookies.
These cookies don't expand when baked, so they can be placed as close together as you want.
They have a faint coconut taste and a shortbread texture. 
These cookies were tasty, but they made me thirsty!  I think that Chocolate Orange Torte is going to become my go-to Paleo dessert, however.  You know, just on days when that sweet tooth is bugging me. That torte was absolutely delicious - and I'm not just talking "delicious for being a Paleo dessert."  I'm talking hands-down, favorite, moist, chocolately, delicious torte.
But I digress...

From Chocolate and Carrots:
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup coconut flour
  • dash of salt
  • 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
How-To
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  2. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, mix the coconut oil, vanilla extract, eggs and almond milk together.
  4. In a larger bowl, stir the sugar, coconut flour and salt together.
  5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until combined.
  6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  7. Scoop by the tablespoon, roll into a ball with your hands and flatten out.
  8. Bake for about 20 minutes until lightly brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment