28 March 2012

Stuffed Red Peppers

This recipe is eye-catching and really easy to put together.  Serve it with rice to make it extra filling, or serve it by itself to keep it Paleo.
I used to be a very picky eater.  I've gotten a lot better about it - I'd describe my eating habits as "adventurous" these days - but there are still some things I don't do.  Dressings.  Mayo.  Eggs, unless they're packed with other tasty things.  Very salty things.  There are some things, however, that you will find all over my blog.  Anything that could be remotely classified as "Mexican."  Anything spicy.  Green peppers.  Chili.  Virtually any stir-fry.

I like to think of stuffed peppers as a tasty stir-fry all wrapped up in a pretty pepper package.  Say that three times fast. 

Ingredients:
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tbs EVOO
1 lb ground venison (or turkey)
1 cup of corn (or one can)
1 cup of chopped cilantro
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
S&P to taste
5 or 6 bell peppers, tops cut cleanly off and insides removed

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2.  Saute the onion and garlic in EVOO.  Mostly because I like to make these flavors a little milder because I'm not a huge fan of either.  Feel free to skip this step.

3.  Mix up EVERYTHING but the peppers.  Put the peppers on a cookie sheet and stuff each pepper to the top of the cut.  Mine kept falling over so I used toothpicks to hold them in formation.  Put the tops on and bake for an hour.

The tops should stay on well.  If they come off, you risk the stuffing getting a little crispy
When they come out, the peppers should be tender and the stuffing should be juicy :)
Unless the tops are burnt, everything is edible but the stem!

No comments:

Post a Comment