11 April 2012

Mushroom Soup

Paleo Mushroom Soup, to be precise.  As are all my foods these days.
I more or less made this up as I went along.  I'll try to remember what I threw in there.  According to Kyle, the good smells wafting through the house were enough to make a grown man cry.  I must have been doing something right.

Ingredients:
3/4 c. diced onion
3/4 c. diced bell pepper
1/2 c. diced celery
3 c. chopped mushrooms (I used white button and baby bellas)
[you wouldn't be out of line to throw some chopped carrots in here too]
2 c. diced ham
enough chicken stock to cover
cayenne (per your preference)
S&P
2 tbs dried dill
1 tbs Penzey's Arizona spice mix
dash of spicy southwest seasoning
1-2 tbs lemon juice

Obviously you'll need to play with the seasonings a little bit.  I'm not exactly sure what is in the Penzey's mix - the reason I used it is because it smelled like it would taste great with the soup.  I guess in general, I used spices in the southwest/chipotle/adobo direction. 

So saute up the onion and pepper(s).
 When translucent, add the mushrooms and celery.
When the mushrooms are cooked, add the stock, ham, spices and lemon juice.  Simmer for about half an hour.
The smell reminded me of pea soup from my childhood, but it tasted great.  It's a pretty thin soup, but there are so many chunks of stuff in it - every bite is full of tasty soup goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment